Saturday, October 17, 2009

Ancient Arts

To see something of the state park, some of the group opted to stick around Seminole Canyon for the 10am guided tour of the Lower Pecos Rock Art. Descending into the canyon we learned that this area is one of the most important for pre-historic art in North America, particularly for its polychromaticism. The work is about 3800 yrs old. Pictured is one of the best panels. For more info see http://www.RockArt.org

So our group got on the road about noon after eating our pack lunches at the visitor's center. For a general description of the day, see yesterday, but add an adjective to the description of the head wind. By the way, if you're getting sick of reading about head winds, imagine how we feel!

Right out of the park I had no energy, so we stopped 9 miles down the road in Comstock at Holley's Place for another lunch - being eggs, bacon and Texas Toast it was really more of an early afternoon breakfast.


Although a short day at 40 miles (1/2 the distance of yesterday), it was a long ride. Maybe yesterday wiped me out. So I was happy when we arrived at the RV Park on the outskirts of Del Rio, and double happy to learn we were going out to the all-you-can-eat Sirloin Buffet ($8:20 per person, soft drinks included).

After eating all I could, hopefully I'll have more energy for tomorrow's 75 miles, particularly since Gerben and I will be cooking so we'll need to arrive early for our duties.



Sent From Handheld