After setting out from Globe towards Thatcher, 76 miles away, I started getting slower and slower. I began to think I shouldn't have packed that extra 1/2 gallon of water. My knees and lower back started hurting. Then my bike started getting all jelly-like and very unstable, and I wondered if the it was getting fatigued: maybe the bike and I were not up to the task. Then the back end got really wobbly... and I looked down and I had a slow flat.
I pumped a few times to get my rig to the highway rest stop at Bylas, where the group ate lunch in the shade and I pulled the back wheel off, extracted a tiny thread of wire (steel belted radial shrapnel) and replaced the tube. I guess that counts as a working lunch?
The afternoon ride was a glorious cruise up the Gila River valley, cool temperatures and nice tail wind, effortlessly cruising at 15-20 mph. It felt like being pulled along by an invisible thread.
Finished off with a very large chocolate dipped ice cream and into camp shortly after 3pm.
Sent From Handheld
Bicycle Trips, Experienced Vicariously
Southern Tier 2009
> jump to first blog post
mode: bicycle camping
route: southern usa
start: 18 sept 2009
san diego, ca
end: 21 Nov 2009
st augustine, fl
group: adventure cycling association
riders: 14 + 1 leader
distance: 3100 miles
5000 kms
> trip schedule
> map of route
mode: bicycle camping
route: southern usa
start: 18 sept 2009
san diego, ca
end: 21 Nov 2009
st augustine, fl
group: adventure cycling association
riders: 14 + 1 leader
distance: 3100 miles
5000 kms
> trip schedule
> map of route
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(63)
-
▼
October
(30)
- The invisible thread
- 3 Way
- Morning in the Land of Enchantment
- A day off
- The Scenic Route
- Attack of the Pie People
- The sad Rio Grande
- Unlucky Knickers
- Someone Else's Party
- Moving On Towards Marfa
- Luxuries
- Drying Out
- The Best of West Texas
- Crossing the Pecos
- A Big Day in Texas
- Ancient Arts
- Foothills of the Hill Country
- "There's hills in them there hills"
- Half Way / Comfort
- Rain
- Why Texas is Green
- Austin by Day and Night
- Beso de la Muerte
- Moving On
- The Eye of the Storm
- Signs of the South
- Impending Doom
- Doom Delayed
- The End of Texas
- Local Color
-
▼
October
(30)

